PDF download annual reports
2017/18 TS 2017-18 Year In Review
2016/17 2016-17 Year In Review
Highlights of Our First Five Years: 2010-15
(in reverse chronological order)
* Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke federal candidates’ debate on issues related to climate change featuring Randall Garrison (NDP), Frances Litman (Green) and David Merner (Liberal), co-presented @ EMCS with the BC Sustainable Energy Association & Dogwood Initiative (Sept. 16, 2015)
* Climate change & Sooke foodshed presentation with Dr. Parvez Kumar, Mary Coll & Mark Ziegler @ Rose of Lima Church (July 22, 2015)
* Permablitz #1 6460 Sooke Rd. (June, 2015)
* Open Space Community Think Tank @ the Sooke Harbour House (Oct. 2014; presented formally to the District of Sooke Council in Jan. 2015)
* Campaign for Sooke’s ‘No More Tankers’ plebiscite (Summer/fall, 2014)
* Let BC Vote public forum @ the Rose of Lima Church (June, 2014)
* Dr. Thierry Vrain GMO talk @ Sooke Harbour House (Nov. 17, 2013)
* GE-Free Van Isle rally at the Association of Vancouver Islands & Coastal Communities Convention in Sooke (April 14, 2013)
* Two editions of the Sooke Slow Food Cycle (Sept. 24, 2012 and Oct. 9, 2011)
* Local Economy Forum (Nov. 24, 2012)
* Mayor’s Candidate Forum with Wendal Milne and Dave Bennett (Nov. 6, 2011)
* Transition Sooke incorporated under the Society Act of BC (Aug. 18, 2011)
* “Join the Solar Power Revolution” talk by Solar BC‘s Nitya Harris @ Reading Room Cafe (March 21, 2011)
* First annual Transition info table at Sooke Region Food CHI’s Seedy Saturday (Feb. 26, 2011)
* Sooke Transition Initiative granted official status by Transition Network (Dec. 8, 2010)
* Our first public gathering is held at the T’Sou-ke First Nation and features a tour of the new solar facility (June 23, 2010)
* In Transition screened at Awareness Film Night (June 16, 2010)
* Transition Network founded in Totnes, England by Rob Hopkins (fall 2006)
The Roots of Transition Sooke
- Mid October 2009 – Sooke’s John Boquist and Margaret Critchlow attend Victoria Transition Town’s introduction to TT at the Victoria Public Library
- Oct 20 & 22, 2009 – John, Margaret and Andrew Moore participate in a two-day Training for Transition workshop in Victoria. Bill Aal & Michelle Colussi, facilitators.
- Dec 3, 2009 – Margaret, John, and Andrew host a candle-light vigil at the Sooke loggers’ pole to encourage climate change action at the Copenhagen talks.
- Dec 14, 2009 two articles in MapleLine Magazine (on-line edition) re Sooke transition initiative (link no longer available)
- Jan-Apr 2010 – Margaret incorporates transition town into her course syllabus for AN 4230 Anthropology of Place and Space at York University. Students read the Transition Primer and design a transition action for a selected community. They design a poster for their action and wrote an essay detailing their plans.
- June 14, 2010 – Michael Tacon joins initiating committee and attends meeting with John, Margaret & Andrew.
- June 16, 2010 – Screening of ‘In Transition’ (watch the documentary) at Awareness Film Night, Sooke. Approx 50 people attend, including 3 reps from TT Victoria (Tamara, Denise, and Patricia) and John Horgan, the provincial member of the legislature. Margaret facilitates post-film discussion
- June 21, 2010 – Initiating committee meeting, 5 pm, Serious Coffee.
- June 23, 2010 – T’Souke Nation Solar Tour and Transition Town Sooke meeting. 40 people (including organizers) attend. Tours by Andrew, meeting facilitated by Michael Tacon.
- Sooke News Mirror publishes letter to the editor from Margaret about Transition Towns
- June 28, 2010 – Britta (DK last name) joins initiating committee. Initiating committee meeting, 5 pm, Serious Coffee.
- July 2010 – Yvonne Court takes on the management of the Sooke Transition email list.
- August 29, 2010 – Solar furnace workshop led by Dave Court. About 40 participants learned how to build a solar furnace out of recycled cans.
- Fall 2010 – several meetings of the Core team – mission statement defined – Britta leaves core team, Yvonne Court joins core team.
- December 8, 2010 – Sooke Transition Initiative granted official status by UK HQ. Yvonne Court and John Boquist open a non-profit society bank account at Coast Capital for STI.
- Jan, 2011 – At request of Sooke Region Food CHI, STI begins attending Sooke Council and Committee of the Whole meetings on rotation to support Food Chi and JDF Cycle Coalition. Performs watchdog function to hold Council accountable re sustainability issues in OCP.
- Jan 28, 2011 – article by Margaret on Sooke Transition appears in inaugural edition of the Sooke Voice News.
- Feb 3, 2011 – Margaret is an invited participant representing Sooke Transition Initiative in a workshop organized by BC-Alberta Social Economy Research Alliance (BALTA) and the Canadian Center for Community Renewal Exploring Community Land Trusts. The workshop is called Exploring Community Land Trusts: Making Trust Models for Land, Housing and Affordability in BC. Other participants represented the CRD Housing Secretariat, Victoria Real Estate Board, Greater Victoria Housing Society, Co-op Housing Federation, BC Nonprofit Housing, and the Community Social Planning Council, among others.
- Feb 6, 2011 – Michael Tacon holds a day-long workshop, “Awakening the Dreamer,” sponsored by the Well Foundation and Sooke Transition Initiative at the Sooke Harbour House.
- Feb, 2011 – Brian Roth sets up website http://www.sooketransition.org on WordPress
- Feb 26, 2011 – Sooke Transition booth at Seedy Saturday
- March 21, 2011 – Nitya Harris, Exec Dir Solar BC, gives a talk, “Join the Solar Revolution” to about 15 people at the Reading Room Café.
- April 13, 2011 – Sooke Transition information table at Gardening and Farming Night Gala accompanying Awareness Film Night’s Canadian premiere of “Greenhorns,” a film about young farmers.
- May 7th, 2011 – Sooke Transition Information table at SEAPARC as part of the Sooke Rotary Auction and Spring Fair.
- May 11th, 2011 – Collaborated with Video Awareness Night’s showing of the movie “The Economics of Happiness” to present a panel representing the Transition Town perspective with questions and answers from the audience.
- May 13th, 2011 – Presentation at Sooke Harbour House by Margaret Critchlow and Andrew Moore about Senior Housing project and study group in Sooke which represents an initiative very mmuch in keeping with the core values of the Transition Town model for sustainable community development.
- May 26th, 2011 – Beginning of 10 week Senior Cohousing Study Group at Reading Room Café.
- May 27th, 2011 – “What’s next for Sooke Transition Town?” A gathering of Sooke Transition supporters at the Reading Room Café to begin the process of identifying areas of interest and action and establishing several working groups.
- June 6th, 2011 – Stephen Hindrichs joined the Core Team on behalf of the Juan de Fuca Cycling Coalition
- August 2nd, 2011 – Jeff Bateman joined the Core Team as a key member of the Working Group #3 which deals with Outreach/Communications/Liaison and as a key player in the Sooke Slow Food Cycle project.
- August 18th, 2011 – Sooke Transition Town group became incorporated as a Society – Incorporation Number S-0058699 – to be known as Sooke Transition Town Society.
- September 10th, 2011 – Backyard Chicken Workshop, jointly sponsored by Sooke Food CHI and Sooke Transition Town presented at the Sooke Fall Fair.
- October 3rd, 2011 – Michael Tacon made a presentation about Transition Town to the Sooke District Council.
- October 5th, 2011 – Michael Tacon gave a short presentation about Transition Town to the Sooke Rotary Club members at their regular weekly luncheon.
- October 9th, 2011 – Thanksgiving Sunday. The first SOOKE SLOW FOOD CYCLE celebrating peddle power, sustainability and the joys of localization. This event brought together a wide range of interested people from all parts of the Transition Town membership with the Juan de Fuca Cycling Coalition in collaboration with the T’Sou-ke First Nation, Sooke Food CHI, the JDF Community Trails Society and Slow Food Vancouver Island & Gulf Islands. The event received outstanding support from the folks at Sooke Harbour House. Well over 200 visitors and local people joined in this family friendly day of fresh air, exercise, and a series of unique Transition Town-themed workshops at farms, businesses and green spaces.
- October 26th, 2011 – Transition Town Core Team moved to work more closely with the Sooke Food CHI in organizing and putting on events of common interest and generally actively supporting each other’s mandate and activities in the community.
- November 4th, 2011 – Sooke Transition Town organized a “green focused” forum for the two mayoral candidates, Dave Bennett and Wendal Milne especially for our supporters and for members of the several affiliated organizations that we work with.
- December 4th, 2011 – The JdF Cycling Coalition and Transition Town folks join Mayor-elect Wendal Milne in riding bikes in the Sooke Annual Santa Parade through the Sooke Village.
- December 7th, 2011 – First Inaugural Annual General Meeting of the newly incorporated Sooke Transition Town Society and pre-Christmas Celebration Supper for the founders. A new Board is elected to run the affairs of the Society.