If you would like to receive our monthly newsletter, sign up using the link provided at the bottom of each page of this website.
Archive of previous newsletters:
- 15/05/2023 May 2023 news: May 2023 newsletter: Transition Sooke activities on Earth Day with the 606 water group and Zero Waste Sooke, upcoming Jigsaw Puzzle and Board Game swap with Zero Waste Sooke on May 28th, and “The Rain Gauge #3”.
- 16/04/2023 April 2023 news: Transition Sooke’s “The Time is Now: Building Community Resilience Together“ Forum, was a success, Jigsaw Puzzle & Board Game Swap on Sunday, May 28 by Zero Waste Sooke and the Sooke branch of VI Regional Library and Earth Week Events April 19-22, 2023.
- 12/03/2023 March 2023 news: Transition Sooke hosts “The Time is Now: building a resilient community together”, a new series about water, Yarn Swap by Zero Waste Sooke and Transition Sooke attended the rally against Old-Growth logging.
- 09/02/2023 February 2023 news: Transition Sooke’s Strategic Plan Event Focuses on Building Relationships, more EV charging stations in Sooke, United for Old Growth rally and book review of Paulette Steeves’ The Indigenous Paleolithic of the Western Hemisphere.
- 13/01/2023 January 2023 news: Transition Sooke evaluates its role in the community with three events, news from the Juan de Fuca Electoral District, events from Zero Waste Sooke and the workshop “A Heart for the Earth” in Sooke.
- 30/11/2022: December 2022 news: Transition Sooke Festive Gathering, Zero Waste Sooke gives a demonstration of furoshiki, the Japanese art of wrapping gifts in festive material, Lions seek alternative location, Transition Sooke in Santa Parade.
- 15/11/2022: November 2022 news: The salmon are back, solar installations in Sooke, greenwashing Natural Gas, meeting of Zero Waste Sooke and good climate news from around the world.
- 24/10/2022 October 2022 news: What happens after the election, Craft & Art Supplies Swap and Repair Café both a success and Sooke’s vanished tree canopy.
- 15/09/2022 September 2022 news: Public hearing for OCP on September 27, Transition Sooke’s municipal all-candidates’ meeting on October 2, Repair Café on October 16, Transition Sooke Takes a Stand on John Phillips Memorial Park, new Community Park Land Acquired for Juan de Fuca Electoral Area.
- 09/08/2022 August 2022 news: Upcoming council elections, potluck for Sooke’s Climate Action Coordinator Maia Carolsfeld, EMCS Solar Garden Project, a trip across Canada by EV, and Member Lily Mah-Sen’s open letter about ICBC rebate.
- 20/06/2022 June 2022 News: Important Council Committee of the Whole Meeting, the purchase of Admiral’s Forest, a new solar working group in Sooke and a book recommendation.
- 06/05/2022 May 2022 News: Successful Repair Café, information by the Transition Sooke water group, movie nights and an investment in local green space.
- 14/04/2022 April 2022 News: Earth Week; OCP Open House; Zero Waste Sooke’s Repair Café; and more.
- 10/03/2022 March 2022 News: Transition Sooke Water Group talks about the importance of clean water and how to save it, the District of Sooke delays the Official Community Plan, and Transition Sooke events for Earth Day.
- 07/02/2022 February 2022 News: Two successful presentations on groundwater, nearly 1000 more cars in Sooke than in 2019, and Transition Sooke op-ed about pausing some development in Sooke.
- 4/01/2022 January 2022 News: Transition Sooke’s actions in the media, no more glyphosate on school grounds in SD 62 and upcoming events on Climate Change.
- 12/12/2021 December 2021 News: Transition Sooke to District of Sooke: Put a hold on hew development, support of EMCS Climate Poster Contest, and Climate heroes with a rainwater harvesting system in Sooke.
- 01/11/2021 November 2021 News: Official Community Plan, the work of different Transition Sooke groups, and a comparison of Sooke with other Municipal Climate Actions in the area.
- 10/04/2021 October 2021 News: Transition Sooke at community events, push for a potential Sooke Ban on Cosmetic Use of Pesticides, support for Council’s passing of the Climate Change Mitigation strategy, the “7% Solution”, and good news from Fairy Creek.
- 09/07/2021 September 2021 News: 100 Debates on Environment, Health and Climate, West Coast Climate Action Network and Last Stand: Old Growth Forest and the Fairy Creek Ecosystem.
- 08/02/2021 August 2021 News: Climate Emergency is here, new Water Group in Transition Sooke, Proceedings to Town Hall about “Growing Pains” and one-year anniversary of Fairy Creek protests.
- 07/05/2021 July 2021 News: Online Town Hall about Sooke’s growth, concerns about the Eustace Road Development and Climate Emergency.
- 06/01/2021 June 2021 News: Upcoming online town hall by Transition Sooke about growth, Fairy Creek protests every Saturday in Sooke and Transition Sooke’s Local Economy Working Group.
- 05/03/2021 May 2021 News: Transition Sooke’s Official Community Plan raises awareness, upcoming Town Halls focused on growth and Fairy Creek protests.
- 04/01/2021: April 2021 News: Low Carbon/Low Growth Scenario proposed for Sooke, BC Climate Action Network and Zero Waste in Sooke.
- 03/01/2021 – March 2021 News: presentation to OCP Advisory Committee, new board of directors and launch of BC Climate Action Network
- 02/11/2021 – Coldest Night of the Year
- 02/02/2021 – February 2021 News
- 01/04/2021 – January 2021 News
- 11/30/2020 – December 2020 News
- 11/11/2020 – LIfelong Learning Needs You!
- 11/03/2020 – Plan for the Future
- 09/13/2020 – Climate Action and the OCP
- 09/01/2020 – September 2020 News
- 08/03/2020 – Upcoming Virtual Meeting
- 07/07/2020 – Have your say: Transportation, Parks, and Trails
- 06/26/2020 – June 2020 News
- 06/06/2020 – Celebrate International Oceans Day!
- 05/29/2020 – May 2020 News
- 04/22/2020 – April 2020 News
- 03/28/2020 – Virtual General Meeting – Wed April 1
- 03/01/2020 – Wednesday Meeting/Upcoming Events
- 02/24/2020 – AGM Reminder
- 02/20/2020 – The Planet Needs You!
- 01/30/2020 – Earth Day coming!
- 01/24/2020 – Transition Sooke Annual General Meeting
From 2013-16, former board member Sofie Hagens produced a monthly newsletter, an archive of which you’ll find here. Thank you Sofie!
Newsletter February – March 2016
Newsletter December 2015: to a wondrous 2016
Newsletter September – October 2015
The period between January and July one of the creators of the newsletter was travelling through Indonesia. Members were kept up-to-date via a monthly email.
Newsletter November – December 2013
Newsletter October – November 2013
Newsletter August – September 2013