Transition Sooke is a citizen’s initiative seeking common-sense steps towards a resilient and sustainable community. Transition Sooke is part of a worldwide movement called Transition Towns that focuses on regaining control of the future of our communities by reducing:
- Dependence on fossil fuels
- Impacts of climate change
- Our vulnerability to global economic instability
NOTE: A number of Transition Sooke groups are continuing to meet via teleconferencing. For the Climate Change Emergency Teams, contact the individuals listed at the bottom of the Climate Emergency page.
April 1, 7 pm Transition Sooke General Meeting via teleconference. Contact Alan if you would like to attend.
April 3, Global Climate Strike, Victoria CANCELLED
April 12, 11 am – 1 pm. Region-Wide Clean-Up Day coinciding with Surfrider’s Whiffin Spit Cleanup. Contact Wendy O’Connor CANCELLED
April 21, 6:30 – 8 pm. Zero Waste Sooke’s Craft Materials Swap. Sooke Library CANCELLED
April 22 Honour Our Earth candlelight vigil, downtown Sooke CANCELLED
April 25, all day. Earth Day festivities, Sooke Community Hall CANCELLED
- Climate Emergency Workshop success
- Conversations with the federal candidates
- More than 50 people attend Sooke’s Green New Deal Town Hall to search for solutions to tackle the Climate Emergency
- Dahr Jamail: Addressing Climate Disruption is a moral imperative
- EV Extravaganza Success!
- Climate Emergency – A range of actions to address climate change in the Sooke community
- Zero Waste Sooke – Citizen’s initiative to eliminate all forms of waste in the community
- Wild Wise Sooke – Keeping our wildlife wild and our citizens safe
- Sooke Multi-Belief Initiative – Developing a Sooke Region Compassionate Action Plan
- Pesticide Education Group – Educating the community on pesticides and their alternatives
- Book Club – Informal, friendly and lively discussions about thoughtful books on contemporary issues