Community • Resilience • Climate
Transforming to a just, sustainable society
Transition Sooke is a citizen-based, volunteer, public-interest group focused on co-creating a sustainable, resilient and secure community that meets the challenges of the climate emergency in the Sooke region.
For more information on Transition Sooke, visit here.
- November 2022 newsletter: The salmon are back, solar installations in Sooke, greenwashing Natural Gas, meeting of Zero Waste Sooke and good climate news from around the world. Read the newsletter here.
- October 2022 newsletter: What happens after the election, Craft & Art Supplies Swap and Repair Café both a success and Sooke’s vanished tree canopy. Read the newsletter here.
- On September 21, 2022, Transition Sooke ran a 1/2-page advertisement in the Sooke News Mirror to encourage Council to pass the Official Community Plan (OCP). See ad here. Unfortunately, Council did not pass the plan and passed it on to the next Council to follow-up.
- Transition Sooke organized an All-Candidates’ Meeting with a Twist: We called it “Speed Rating”. All questions were delivered at small tables with only one candidate present. Read more about the October 2 event here.
- Zero Waste Sooke’s Repair Café – Bring the broken stuff you love and get help fixing it! October 16 from 10 am to 2 pm in the large meeting room at the library.
- Archive of previous newsletters
Council Watchdog – Transition Sooke volunteers regularly attend all District of Sooke meetings and prepare short summaries that are available here.
- Climate Emergency – A range of actions to address climate change in the Sooke community
- Zero Waste Sooke – Citizen’s initiative to eliminate all forms of waste in the community
- Sooke Multi-Belief Initiative – Developing a Sooke Region Compassionate Action Plan
- Pesticide Education Group – Educating the community on pesticides and their alternatives
- Book Club – Informal, friendly and lively discussions about thoughtful books on contemporary issues