For minutes of previous meetings, click here.
For minutes of the 2019 AGM, click here.
Meeting Agenda – July 3, 2019
1. Additions/changes to the agenda and approve minutes of last meeting on May 28, 2019.
2. Financial Report – David
- Dahr Jamail event June 4 – Susan, Jo and Moki
- June meeting of the Climate Emergency Group – Susan and J
- Pop-up climate cafés will happen over the summer
- ZWS Meeting on June 19. Wendy present when Sooke Council finally approved the ban on single use plastics on June 10. Ann presented Polly Ethyl Styrene a plastic personality to Council – Wendy and Bernie
- Green New Deal Town Hall on Saturday June 22 – Moki, Susan, and Jo
4. Looking ahead – Summer and September:
- Michael away mid-July until the end of August. Who can captain the ship in his absence?
- Do we want to sponsor an all-candidates debate on the environment on October 7 in partnership with various other groups including Food CHI, Sierra Club BC, Farmland Trust, Dogwood Sooke, etc.? If so, we should book the EMCS Theatre for that date. Details at: https://www.100debates.ca
- What about arranging something with the two doctors and the nuclear threat? Dr. Jonathan Down and Dr. Mary-Wynne Ashford could be invited to do another talk in the fall. They are working with the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) – Bernie
5. Website progress – Alan
6. Other initiatives under consideration
- Rainwater Catchment Systems – Sue Lidster
- Divestment of Fossil Fuel Investments – Jo
- Continue to advocate through liaison and communication with all 3 levels of government: municipal, provincial and federal
- Support circle to help people cope as changes start ramping up
Next Steering Group meeting set for Wednesday September 3 at Harbourside
Meeting Minutes – May 28, 2019
- Agenda change and approval of minutes.
Minutes of May 1 meeting; moved by Michael and seconded by David – approved
2. Financial Report: Things are fine – report moved by David and seconded by Alan – approved
3. Speakers Series: Dahr Jamail to speak also to members of Council and staff
Holy Trinity rental $50; Event insurance $50—but covers Transition Sooke for all events at Holy Trinity Anglican Church for rest of year
Donations at the door. All donations to go to speaker. If our share of expenses is higher, we’ll cut a cheque at the time.
Volunteers needed for handling the welcome table, selling books, setting up the sound system and serving refreshments.
Arrangements have been made for Dahr to meet Jeff, Tony and a staff person from the District of Sooke on Thursday
4. Climate Café: Discussion about how to move forward – pending the presentation of the next item
5. Report on the Green New Deal Town-Hall in Fernwood. 10 people from Sooke. More than 300 in attendance. Deb report: very exciting! Diane report: Does TS need to get more political? More pressure on local and provincial government?
Discussion returned to Climate Café: The next climate cafe set for June 13 at Harbourside could be an organizational meeting for Sooke Green New Deal Town Hall or a debrief of the Dahr Jamail event. To be determined
6. Forest Action
Michael talked with Bruce Fogg (John Horgan’s Executive Assistant) as a representative of Transition Sooke expressing our opposition to the cutting of 4 blocks of old growth forest near Port Renfrew. One such block was very close to the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail. We understand that the auction was stopped. Kara (Sierra Club) and Debb (Dogwood Sooke) did not attend.
7. ZWS – Bernie (Wendy away) Council was approached about-single use plastic ban. Staff to delay by “studying” sample bylaw to make sure what is most effective. Council itself seems onside.
8. Website – Alan In final stages of upgrade
9. Other business:
Several people including Michael and Wendy have applied for the DOS Climate Change Action Committee
Event insurance ~$200/event or $1000/year. We will continue by event.
Caitlin put forward a proposal for the creation of a Sooke Rideshare based on Kootenay Rideshare. Web infrastructure CC licensed. Decision to move forward with this.
Eco-Home tour to be postponed for a year.
Adjourned 8:50 pm