Get Involved in the Action Teams Below
Dahr Jamail’s Challenge – June 4, 2019
In early June, almost 100 people filled Sooke’s Holy Trinity Church to hear author and journalist Dahr Jamail deliver his message on “climate disruption.” For many, Jamail’s message was bleak, and they felt sad, depressed and overwhelmed at the prospects of climate disruption.
Others responded to Jamail’s challenge and decided to take action. Transition Sooke had already been working on climate issues and Jamail’s talk was a catalyst to take more action.
Green New Deal Sooke-Style – June 22, 2019
Just two weeks after Jamail’s talk, Transition Sooke hit the ground running and held a town hall meeting in the downstairs of the Sooke Community Hall to start the conversation on taking action in the Sooke Region. More than 50 people spent a Saturday afternoon coming up with a wide range of actions that need to happen. But participants did not want to stop there.
Community Action Workshop – Sept 29, 2019
Transition Sooke used all these local ideas for a follow-up Community Action Workshop on September 29. “Climate Emergency What Can We Do? From Green New Deal Town Hall to Community Action,” fostered the formation of action teams to address issues identified at the June town hall.
Transition Sooke’s Susan Belford has prepared proceedings of the workshop that you can download here.
Teams Taking Action
Several groups have started organizing and taking action following the September 29 Workshop. The “action teams” and their “champions” are listed below. Some of the action areas don’t have champions yet; if you help, contact us at our general email.
- Food security / local agriculture – No champion yet, can you help?
- Rainwater Harvesting – Held Rainwater Harvesting and Management workshop on Nov 4, 2019; Presented at Sooke Lifelong Learning; Contact Sue Lidster or Robin Zabloski
- Forest and ocean / habitat and species protection – Contact Christina Schlattner
- Divestment from fossil fuels – Research phase; Presentation to Sooke Lifelong Learning; Contact Susan Clarke or Jo Phillips
- Zero waste – Well established through Zero Waste Sooke; ongoing projects – Repair Cafés, materials swaps, and more; Successfully lobbied the two grocery stores in Sooke to stop using plastic bags; Contact Wendy O’Connor
- New economic model – Planning phase; Contact Alan Dolan
- Transportation – Has met monthly on the first Monday of the Month since the September workshop; Presentation to Sooke Lifelong Learning; Contact Susan Belford
- Emergency disaster planning
- Green energy – Meeting first Monday of the month, 1 – 3 pm; has met three times; four goals: 1) Advocate for a green energy vision for Sooke 2) Develop an education and communications plan 3) Provide advice on policy changes to Sooke Council 4) Carry out research. Contact Lily Mah-Sen
- Climate angst and listening to youth – Healing Circles Jan 21, 28 and Feb 4; Contact Moki Tacon
- Green lifestyle – Meeting coming soon; Contact Yvonne Court
- Direct action / non-violent resistance – Contact Jack Gegenberg
- Water conservation