Transition Sooke presents an Open Space Community Think Tank
Saturday, October 18th, 10 a.m. to mid-afternoon at the Sooke Harbour House, 1528 Whiffen Spit Rd.
Please join us for a timely discussion about community issues vital to Sooke voters and the Transition movement in general. This facilitated, all-opinions-welcome process will lead by day’s end to a set of recommended priority actions for Sooke’s next Mayor and council.
A simple and hearty lunch will be served, so please bring ideas and an appetite!
The Question: In a spirit of cooperation and self-reliance, the people of Sooke have successfully established lives, overcome hardships and responded to change for more than 160 years. (And the people of T’Sou-ke have done so for much longer!). Within this tradition, how can we elect and support a council that will transform current and future challenges into opportunities?
Subjects for discussion will include …
* local investment & entrepreneurship (i.e., cooperative business model, tech support for telecommuters, incentives for home-based business)
* increased energy self-sufficiency (i.e., reducing home energy costs, promoting alt.energy enterprises, Sooke Solar City)
* food security (i.e., farmland protection and productivity, incubator farms, Sooke market and/or co-op store, local butcher and brewery).
* engaging youth and seniors (i.e., intergenerational mentoring & eldership programs, better responses to youth-identified needs, Harbourside Cohousing as a template for town centre development)
* education and local knowledge (i.e., reskilling initiatives, post-secondary satellite campus in Sooke).
Please let us know if you’re planning to attend via email to email@example.com